My Blog List

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Just a little update.....

It has been a few days since I have posted.  I just closed Hayden's fundraiser with 31 on Friday. We had a huge success and are able to donate $175 of our sales to Easter Seals. Not too bad considering this is our first 31 fundraiser.  Hayden's team this year is setting a goal of raising $1600. Pretty aggressive given the economic environment but it is a cause our family strongly believes in. So far we have raised $425 with our fundraiser total.  We hold our next fundraising event on February 27, 2012 at our local Friendly's in Middletown, Delaware. So, if any of our readers are local please come and join the fun.

Now, onto Hayden news. This week has been pretty exciting.  Hayden has continued to improve his walking speed at school with his crocodile walker. He is now walking from his classroom to the gym in 1 min 30 seconds. This is huge! He knocked his time in half. He is also able to keep up with his peers walking in the hallways with his walker. I am hoping when we get our new AFOs his speed will continue to improve. He continues to ask to walk at home which we are trying to practice very hard. He is improving daily being able to walk with one hand. We now tell him let's show Julia how to walk. This has proven to be great motivation for the little man. He is also still working hard on potty training. We finally got our adaptive seat. Insert big claps here!! He feels comfortable sitting on the potty which is wonderful. I love that he asks to go. Now, the big battle is getting school to get the seat for us. In order for us to be successful this needs to be carried over to every place Hayden travels. The joys of a special needs mama never ends. Advocate, Advocate, Advocate.

I am very fortunate to have discovered some very handy resources here in Delaware. I just attended the PIC of Delaware meeting. Where has this organization been all Hayden's life? Seriously, why did I not know about this sooner. I think I am going to find some very valuable tools from them. If anyone from Delaware is reading check this organization out! I also found out recently that I got accepted into the Delaware Disabilities Council Partner's in Policy-making. This is a huge honor and will better equip me with all my endeavors as the voice for children like Hayden. I attended my first lobbying session in Washington, DC in November.  Hayden did not accompany me to DC. That would have been a very long day for him however we are off to the joint finance committee meetings in February in Dover. I look forward to showing them just what early intervention has meant to our family and others. Here is hoping funds do not get cut! I think Hayden will make a big impact who would not love my little guy.

Well, time to get ready for a day of watching football. Go Ravens and 49ers!! Eagles are out so this is our hope for this year superbowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment